A PIECE OF THE ACTION
1. Let’s get the important bit out of the way. After a quick safety briefing at the Visitor Centre, you’ll be kitted out in safety gear (PPE) from glasses to high-visibility jackets. Armed and ready, we’ll enter the massive Steelworks plant via coach through the BlueScope Steel Northgate.
2. As the coach snakes its way in-between giant buildings and past huge stockpiles of raw materials, you’ll spot everything from monster machinery, torpedo ladels and may get to see actual molten iron being tapped from the Blast Furnace.
3. Time to turn up the heat. At the colossal Basic Oxygen Steelmaking (BOS) plant, climb to the furnace floor for the best vantage point of steel production. Inside the BOS control room, you’ll see the 1600-degree Celsius process to transform molten iron into steel.
4. We bet you’ll feel the fire under your feet as you walk the high steel gantries of the BOS and the Continuous Slab Caster. Here, you’ll see the fascinating process of pouring molten steel into casting machines up close.
5. In the tour’s final stage, you’ll journey to the Hot Strip Mill or Plate Mill. At the Hot Strip Mill, a steel slab is reheated and rolled into coils in a noisy, action-packed process – the perfect finale to your Steel Tour.
The Port Kembla Steelworks is a working industrial plant and tours may be altered to meet process, production or safety requirements
Family (2 x Adults & 2 x Children): $90
* Children must be 10 years or older
Important Tour Information:
* Tour clothing/footwear requirements: Fully enclosed comfortable non slip footwear, calf length socks and full length pants
* Please be aware the tour includes around 300-400 stairs and 2-2.5kms of walking
Public Steelworks Tours:
Friday – 9.30am – 12:30pm
Saturday – 9.30am – 12:30pm
Group Steelworks Tours: (Schools, Universities, Clubs etc)
Bookings available (Mon – Sat)
Duration: 2.5-3 hours